~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about the love~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Gratitude & Giving Day 24 - Brandon Witt

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

Whether or not you celebrate Christmas, some other winter holiday, or just close your eyes and pretend you don’t see the Salvation Army guy at your grocery story (I always pretend to be on my phone), I hope you’re enjoying the season!  If you’re not, I’m including a picture of my Christmas tree, anyway.  Sorry.  I’m selfish and I think it’s pretty. 

Sooooooo. . . . .  Thankfulness, gratitude, and giving. 

Good themes, and extremely easy for me to speak of at the moment.  And, lucky for you, and very atypical of me, I will be able to keep it brief.  Consider it a Christmas miracle right in front of your eyes. 

This marks six months since I ‘retired’ from 15 years teaching. The quotes do not implied fired.  Just saying.  I am now six months in to writing full time.  I am living my dream and it is truly living up to every hope I had for it.  Save for money and the terror of the quickly diminishing money.  Other than that? Perfection.  I am so unbelievable thankful for the opportunity to leap and see if I soar or flail about haphazardly.

I wouldn’t have this opportunity if it weren’t for Eric Arvin.  It was through his kindness and suggestion a few years ago that I submitted my constantly rejected manuscripts to Dreamspinner and they saw something in me that no one else had.  That or they were desperate.  Honestly, I’ll take either. Without Eric, I wouldn’t even be in the place to write this blog on thankfulness.

Despite my brief years in MM, the past sixth months in our little community has been hard.  Lots of drama.  Lots vileness.  Lots of love, too, but it’s easy to overlook.  However, my rose colored glasses are back on, and I couldn’t be happier about it.  We’ve been doing a fundraiser to help Eric get a machine that will move his body for him, which could make his life so much better. Though I personally felt the fundraiser started slowly, it caught on and people truly showed up.   They once again, writers, readers, bloggers, and artists alike, joined hands and said, “Yes, we can do this!  We will lay down the drama, join our powerful hands together and create and show love.” I could not be more grateful.

For every one of you who gave a dime, shared a link, or offered a plea to the universe/God/whomever, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

So, now my giveaway:

I have a new novel coming out in January.  The Imperfection of Swans.  I’ll include a link and such below. 

Eric’s machine is fully funded, we are raising more money for an item that will change/preserve his writing career, so I’m prayer for more.  From this day through New Year’s Eve, for every person who donates five dollars or more to his campaign (again, link below), I will enter into a drawing.  Five of you will receive the ebook of Swans when it comes out.  You simply need to email me at wordsfoodandmermaids@gmail.com, and put Eric in the subject line and let me know you donated.  I don’t need to know how much and I’m not going to check.  I will take you all at your word.  Every name I get will be put in a drawing and five will receive the novel. I will contact the winners on the January 1st.

How do you like that?  I tell you how thankful I am, and then ask you to give money.  I know.  I’m evil.

But, I love you!  Merry Christmas! 

Brandon Witt



Swans’ blurb:

Kevin Bivanti’s dream is to open a wedding dress shop, a place with the stunning gowns to make every bride-to-be feel adored. At thirty-eight, he quits a successful advertising career to buy an old brownstone in a trendy Boston neighborhood and to make his dream a reality. When one of his cosigners drops out, fate intervenes, ushering in Casper James, who hopes to open his own bakery. With Casper willing to take the risk, their ambitions meld into a wedding dress and wedding cake boutique.

Extensive renovations to the brownstone, an affair with his ex-husband, family drama with his mothers, and the anxiety of significant life changes push Kevin to the brink of a nervous breakdown. In the midst of stress and uncertainty, Casper becomes more than a business partner, a mutual attraction that adds another layer of intensity and risk.

With their dreams on the verge of reality, Kevin and Casper must find the courage to face the stress of managing their attraction, the gamble of a new business venture, and the resurgence of Kevin’s personal demons.

Brandon's Bio:

Brandon Witt's outlook on life is greatly impacted by his first eighteen years of growing up gay in a small town in the Ozarks, as well as fifteen years as a counselor and special education teacher for students with severe emotional disabilities. Add to that his obsession with corgis and mermaids, then factor in an unhealthy love affair with cheeseburgers, and you realize that with all those issues, he's got plenty to write about....





2 comments:

  1. Wishing you a great Christmas season and I hope next year will see things get easier for you and for Eric. And that picture of your tree - wow, it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this machine helps Eric. I've been following his story and it's very sad. I hope in the mhm ewe year he will be more mobile and continue with his writing. I hope the new year is good to you.

    ReplyDelete