This is a repost from the Dirty Dozen blog hop only because I wanted to give people the chance to comment (I love comments) and AE Via's blog didn't have that option. I give her huge thanks for posting it though.
Hello and welcome to my Dirty Dozen post. I'm K-lee and this year will mark my 5th GRL. I was lucky enough to be at the premier retreat in 2011 in New Orleans as a reader, then had my first book published in December of that year. Since then I've published with MLR, Less Than Three, and Amber Quill.
This year has been a difficult one for me since Amber – my main publisher – closed their doors. I was left with a number of books with no home and I'm still working on republishing them myself. In May, I managed to snag a great opportunity with Dreamspinner when they republished the book dearest to me, Unbreak My Heart. Additionally, I dipped my toes in self-publishing in 2016 with my new series, Welcome to Loveland. There are two books in the series so far – Lucky in Loveland (February, 2016) and Lost in Loveland (September, 2016 - my newest release.)
I'm part of the Indie publishing group so I will be selling books at GRL, both in the main sales room and at my author lounges. I also have a Q & A, and you'll probably see me wheeling around the retreat with my Walker-stalker. Hugs are some of my favorite things so if you see me, step on up and say hi!
OH! Don't forget to enter the Rafflcopter draw for the Dirty Dozen blog hop - one lucky winner will receive 12 ebooks. And now without further ado, I give you my answers to the questions asked by each of the 12 authors in the blog hop. Thanks for stopping by.
~ * ~ * ~
TM Smith – If you could spend the day with one of your characters, which one would it be, and why?
- That would be Mr. Brett Taylor from Unbreak My Heart. It's probably not politically correct to say it but…he's my favorite—just don't tell the others. Brett is the character I inflicted the most emotional damage on so he's very close to my heart. He was also inspired by Christian Kane and I can totally see Brett singing me some of his sweet songs as we hang out by the river.
Jeff Adams - What are you working on currently and what's its inspiration?
- I'm just finishing Gimme Shelter and it was inspired by violinist David Garrett and the cellists from 2Cellos. It was originally a sub-call for Rolling Stones songs that, unfortunately, didn't pan out because my publisher closed its doors. Gimme Shelter is sweet but angsty story about breaking free from expectations and I hope to have it out this month.
Wade Kelly - If the lead character in your current novel were to read your other books, which one would be his/her favourite and why?
- I'm pretty sure Lucky Roberts from Lucky in Loveland and Lost in Loveland would love Unbreak My Heart because he's a hopeless romantic who believes in taking things slow. Unbreak My Heart is a very slow burn love story, just Lucky's style.
Jake C. Wallace - If all of your MCs were thrown into a strange and dangerous world where survival relies on ingenuity, creativity, common sense, who would come out on top?
- I'd have to say Chrys and Bryan from my Perfect Moments series that unfortunately is in limbo because I need to republish it. Both guys are street-smart and on the S.W.A.T. team so I think they'd kick some ass, but do it in a very creative way.
Brandon Witt - What musician or album do you think people should listen to as they read your work because it fits the soul of your words (either a specific title or your writing in general)?
- The book (series) that comes to mind first is Unbreak My Heart because the inspiration for the main character was actor/country singer Christian Kane. Christian's music was all I listened to when I wrote the book and some of his songs are theme songs for Brett & JT's relationship.
Morticia Knight - If you could be one of your characters and live their life, who would it be and why?
- Damn. I seem to keep giving the same answer—Brett Taylor. He's got issues, but he's also had success in a profession he loved (and who doesn't want to be a world renowned musician) then dug deep to build a new life after a lot of heartbreak. He's strong, beautiful, and has a heart the size of Texas. Plus, he has the love of JT Campbell—angel on earth.
- Lol. My answer is strange—of course, that's not new for me. I would be a plum because it's canon that Bucky Barnes (the Winter Soldier from the Captain America universe) loves plums. And it's also canon that I love and am totally addicted to Bucky Barnes.
Jordan Hawk - What is the thing you enjoy most about gatherings like GRL?
- My main reason for going to GRL is the people. I'm very solitary person, more hermit than anything else. So despite my social anxiety, I look forward to the hugs and chats and just being around all that love. Did I mention the hugs?
LE Franks - What is the most vivid romantic moment from any film that has lingered the longest and meant the most to you...and why?
- The scenes between Ennis and Jack in Brokeback Mountain have always stuck with me and have been romantic plateaus I've tried to reach in my own writing, even as cliché as that sounds. There was just so much passion and pain behind every kiss and moment of intimacy that even thinking about it makes me emotional. Recently, I saw a film called Holding the Man. It's from a memoir and is tragically sad. There are scenes near the end where one of the characters is sick and the other tells him he's beautiful, but rather than tell him he's full of crap because he's bald and skinny and looks so much unlike himself, they look into each other's eyes and kiss. That kind of stuff is what I live for.
K-Lee Klein (answering my own question, yes) - If you could take any fictional couple or character (television, movies, real-life, books) and add them to one of your books, who would it be and why?
- I'm an open book when it comes to this question. My fictional heroes are Steve Rogers (Captain America) and Bucky Barnes (the Winter Solider). They need to have a universe where they can be together as the soulmates they've always been. Maybe they could move to Loveland and Lucky could teach them to play hockey or they could hang out at Brett's ranch and chill. I'd gladly have them in any of my book universes.
AE Via - What kind of quirky habits do you have before or during the time you write?
AE Via - What kind of quirky habits do you have before or during the time you write?
- One of my favourite writing spots is the tub. It that quirky? My Bucky-Pad and I spend a lot of time in there. Apparently, my muse loves water. I also like to write with a favourite movie playing in the background...over and over and over again. And I often do both at the same time. Maybe that's more obsessive than quirky. I'm also very nocturnal in my writing and my muse excels at night.
Alexa Land - When you write, do your characters hijack the story, or do you keep a tight grip on the reins?
- I'm definitely more of a pantser than a plotter. My characters and my muse are very, very bossy men. I write for them and they keep a tight grip on my reins.
~ * ~ * ~
Enter the Rafflcopter draw where one lucky winner will get 12 ebooks
- one from each Dirty Dozen author
And as always, all comments to this post are appreciated.
Check out my new release.
Lost in Loveland by K-lee Klein
Welcome to Loveland, Book 2
Release date – September 26, 2016
Loveland, Colorado is a special place, a community of creativity and art, with scenic views and majestic mountains. The city brought Lucky and Jack together, but staying that way will take more than cold-air kisses and sweet valentines.
Jack Canon should be over-the-top happy. He has a job that makes him proud, students who make him laugh, a studio that brings out his creativity, and a man who treats him like he walks on water. But shadows from his past keep coming between him and the joy that should fill his heart. Jack needs to reconcile some bitter loose ends, before he can move forward.
Lucky Roberts is in love—hook, line, and kitchen sink. He wants to shout his feelings to the rooftops and scatter little handmade valentines all over the world. He thinks he's okay with not being perfect, and knows Jack isn't perfect either. But when his own past rears its ugly head, Lucky discovers that old habits die hard. Maybe opening his heart to Jack won't be enough— maybe he just isn't enough.
Jack and Lucky risk getting caught in limbo between the past and present if they don't have the strength to share the skeletons in their closets. To move forward together, they have to find the courage to look back…together.
K-lee Klein loves guys with long hair and tattoos, and you’ll often find her front and center at her favorite rock concerts. She has bounced around Western Canada all her life, but will always consider the solitude and beauty of the British Columbian mountains home. Her life is blessed as the proud mother of three now-grown but still spoiled kids, the servant of two bossy felines, and the wife of a truly patient husband.
Her writing muse is terribly temperamental, so to keep him close by and in check, she had him inked on her left calf. The gorgeous, long-haired, mostly naked, kneeling angel that resulted is truly a work of art, although he’s still a handful and hopelessly uncontrollable. She writes on his schedule and inspiration.
K-lee tends to fall easily into obsessions. When something grabs her attention, she jumps into it headfirst with complete abandon. Actors, musicians, superheroes, fictional characters, and brainwashed assassins all hold spots on her cannot-get-enough list. She once followed Thirty Seconds to Mars around the United States and Canada and saw them perform fourteen times that year. Obsession sometimes leads to ideas for her kneeling angel to turn into stories.
Although an introvert in person, she’s extroverted online and has met many wonderful friends there, sometimes with the added fun of meeting them in person at gay romance conferences. She’s grateful for all the people in her life who accept her as she is and support her through her ups and downs as mom, wife, and joyfully obsessed writer.
Places to find K-lee.
K-lee's Krazies - author/reader group